Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Calé












Alejandro Del Prado (Calé) was born in Rosario, Argentina in 1925 and died in Buenos Aires in 1963.
Calé drew "Buenos Aires in a vest" for the popular weekly "Rico Tipo". Although Cale was born in the province of Santa Fé, he was an wonderful observer of the life of the Porteños, the inhabitants of Buenos Aires.
Calé was a poet of the simple people and their lifes. His wonderful work still inspires me after all these years.
These stills are taken from the short "Buenos Aires in camiseta" made by Martin Schorr.
This film was released in 1966. It was done with drawings specially drawn by Calé for this project. Unfortunately, Cale died of a heart attack before the film was completed.

The quality of these stills is not great because they are taken from a poor VHS copy but the film is very difficult to find.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caray, hace un rato dejé un comentario aquí y ya no está...psicokinesis pura y dura.
¡¡¡Qué gran comentario se perdió el mundo!!!

9:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my goodness, these are so fantastic

4:16 am  
Blogger Matt Jones said...

This is like HEAVEN to me!!! I would love to see that film. More Argentinian cartoonists PLEASE!!!!

7:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read Rico Tipo as a child at the barber shop waiting for my haircut. Calé was my favorite. I got a book with his compiled work and I saw the film twice in TV. His drawings were as complete as any sociological analysis of the fifties uses and habits (at a time when there was no social scientist in Argentina).

(Oscar, dígame si quiere fotocopias por mail)

4:10 am  
Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

Thanks for the kind offer, Roberto. I have Cale's book plus several pages from Rico Tipo and two originals by the master himself.

2:02 pm  
Blogger Eric Noble said...

I love seeing all of these Argentinian cartoonists!! These are incredible!

3:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home